Tell me about your Pseudomugil experience!

Lennie

Today, we were talking with @Guppysnail and suddenly I remembered she keeps pseudomugils. Well, we talk about them everyday with @beastie, she loving them, me always telling not really my type of fish, yet sharing her excitement about her fry. Well I guess these ladies gradually made me wanting the precious pseudomugil? 😝🤪 Now I'm considering them. Also stealing beastie's fish?  I LIKE IT.

Anyway, today I saw two sellers' starting to sell pseudomugils tomorrow morning, and I usually like both of their stockings so far. One is selling Gertrudae (spotted blue eye), other one is selling Luminatus (red neon blue eye). I'm gonna have to choose one of these if not both.

I wanted hear about everyones experience about pseudomugils in general based on their experience. 

• Do you see any difference in their behavior? Do you observe any agression?
  • What do you think is the ideal m:f ratio? Best group size to start a breeding project?
  • Are they all equal when it comes to breeding? How easy it is to get fry based on the species you keep?
  • Any specific plant you observe them to lay eggs on?
  • Do they crossbreed if kept together?

Or anything comes to your mind that you'd like to share!

Pseudomugil luminatus

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have 20 or more Luminatus in a 40 breeder and I love these fish! They are so much fun, I am currently setting up a 20 long for the Gertrudae Aru VI. As for the Luminatus I have probably 3 females for every male but it’s not exact. There is very very little aggression (if any), the males just dance with each other. For breeding spawning mops are the way to go. I also have Pearl Weed floating and a lot of fry have made it to adult hood. 
The Pseudomugils are definitely worth the purchase! 

IMG_4788.jpeg

• Like 1

I'll have to get a picture of my luminatis tank up soon, got the fish added a couple weeks ago.  So far, I see no aggression that matters.  I believe I have 17 in a 20 long, still plenty of space.  I haven't spawned them yet but I have other rainbows, I definitely will second the spawning mop.  You may get a very small amount of fry survival without it but not enough to really amount to anything.  My normal method of fry rearing is to keep them in a small container for a few weeks until they are big enough to add to a grow out 10.  I am going to build a "dean" fry system this winter.  Also if you watch the luminatis breeding video on keeping fish simple on YouTube, his method seems to be pretty easy.  No small container, just dump the eggs in a 10

• Like 1

I got Pseudomugil signifer (pacific blue eye) & Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis (neon blue eye) recently for my brackish paludarium. 

The neon blue eyes are pretty passive and mostly stick to surface of the water. The females will sometimes come down to the middle and hangout with the pacific blue eyes. They are still very small, so I'm curious to see what they will look like and behave when they grow out. 

The pacific blue eyes are much more active and I like their color more. They mostly swim around the upper middle of the tank, but do swim all around. Males will spar with eachother, where they elongate their fins and swim around eachother. It's pretty amusing to watch. They are peaceful with my neon blue eyes, bumblebee gobys and shrimp. 

• Like 1

I've wanted to try getting some for a while. At the last big auction for my local fish club, there was a lot with 12 of them. I was going to bid on it but I heard it come up while I was in the bathroom... Could have gotten 12 for like $30!

I don't have much to add, just wanted to share that story.

I think either keeping fish simple or Lowel's fish lab has a video about breeding them

• Like 1

Luminatus are my favorite rainbows hands down! They’re fun to breed and the colors are pretty sick, and I’ve used them as dither fish for bettas. In answer to one of your questions, rainbowfish can crossbreed within genera (Pseudomugil, Melanotenaea, etc) but not between genera (hopefully that makes sense!).

You can start a colony with just 3 fish (1M 2F) which is what I did, because my 14yo couldn’t afford any more 😅. Keeping that ratio is probably a good idea. They’ll lay eggs wherever, but spawning mops and Java moss work fine. 
 @Lennie are you a psychic? Did you see me admire the Luminatus in my LFS yesterday?? 😂

You should do a thing with your chums @beastie and @Guppysnail: you each get a different species of Pseudomugil (or a different locale of the same species) and who ever breeds them first wins the undying respect of the others 😜😂

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:38 AM, Schuyler said:

I've wanted to try getting some for a while. At the last big auction for my local fish club, there was a lot with 12 of them. I was going to bid on it but I heard it come up while I was in the bathroom... Could have gotten 12 for like $30!

🤣 🤣 that made me laugh lol

Thank you all @TheSwissAquarist @Ninjoma @Kurt Brutting @Ben P. for sharing your experience.

I got a group of 7 with the ratio of 2m:5f. The guy got imported approximately about 1m:2f ratio (maybe less female) but he knows me so he was okay with adding extra female there for me. Also he gifted me a free Apistogramma cacatuoides quad red pair! Another breeding project image.gif.ca22ea3fc09770797d9c3490d6e0d985.gif

On 10/14/2023 at 10:52 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

You should do a thing with your chums @beastie and @Guppysnail: you each get a different species of Pseudomugil (or a different locale of the same species) and who ever breeds them first wins the undying respect of the others 😜😂

You are funny. @Guppysnail 's fish starts breeding while they are still on the way home in a bag.  I would NEVER compete her when it comes to breeding. She is my source of inspiration 🤣 That's it 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/17/2023 at 5:01 AM, Ninjoma said:

I caught some footage of sparring behavior today. They are pretty fun to watch. 

OMG the increased speed is hillarious 🙂

Do you also have free swimming fry?

Anyways, my setup is a 60x30x30cm tank with 10, 5 males, 5 females. 3 of my oldest fry are basically integrated in the shoal, some of the younger hang out at the surface and hidden. I am not sure at which point will my tank be saturated, but I bought them adult already so I also do not know how long they have to live

• Like 1