Canna tuerckheimii vs Canna Indica seedlings

rburrena

Canna tuerckheimii vs Canna Indica seedlings

Post by rburrena »

I thought I'd share some pics of my canna seedlings. I am interested by the massive size difference between the tuerckheimii and Indica! Anyone grown tuerckheimii before? Do they really get huge, like very tall super cannas with double size leaves :o ? I hope so :D !

Pint glass for scale and a bonus musa sikkimensis seedling on the left for your delectation :lol:
The canna seedlings are the same age (germinated in December) and grown under exactly the same conditions. There is obviously variation in size between all the seedlings but the difference between the tuerckheimii and Indica is remarkable in all cases. :D
Mr List

Re: Canna tuerckheimii vs Canna Indica seedlings

Post by Mr List »

which one is which?
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Mr List wrote:which one is which?
Canna tuerckheimii is the large one.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

'tis big. icon_thumleft
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

got them both and edulis,,,, will take some oiccies and post, all of mine were sown about the same time but big size differences for sure
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

dave2166 wrote:got them both and edulis,,,, will take some oiccies and post, all of mine were sown about the same time but big size differences for sure
Cool, I would like to see. Edulis can be grown from seed too then, what other varieties can you grow from seed? Seems to be fairly limited? At least you are guaranteed virus free, and it's fun growing them from seed. :D
palmphil

Post by palmphil »

Very Impressive! I was lucky enough to be given a few of these seedlings by Adrian.
Mine are not quite as big as yours but they are coming along nicely!!
Like you I cannot wait to see how big they get!!
On a related subject whats the opinion on whether to leave Cannas in the ground or lift each year?
Thanks
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

I think that I will leave them in the ground, as long as they are well mulched and they should be fine from what I have read. I lifted and chucked away last years tubers in march after I knew that my seedlings were going to do OK as my cannas from last year were virused. That's why i decided to grow from seed. The tubers I lifted I could not guarantee would grow back but they seemed solid and not rotted at all, so I think they would have come back this year despite the virus.

One thing I am not sure about though is it true that some varieties of canna are less hardy than others so are less likely to come back from the ground after a cold winter?
kata

Post by kata »

Beauties rburrena, well done!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers