DeArmond M-70 (Quick Question)

OldFenderGuy

• Members

I believe some of you own these, so I would like to get some information about the DeArmond M-70.

I was looking at a 2001 model that is NOS, and never been retailed.

Of course it has the Mahogany body and set neck, and also the USA Goldtone Humbuckers. It has has a 'clear pickguard' which is interesting.

I check the HC Reviews, and these have received excellent scores.

Anyway, the place is asking $399 for this NOS model. Is it worth that in your opinions?

Thanks

m70.jpg

• Members

OFG: I don't own one but I've played a couple of them. Love the pickups. As far as price goes, you can usually get an M-75 on eBay for around $300 or less, which is the next step up from the M-70 and has block inlays and a harp tailpiece, so $400 seems a bit steep. I think about $300 would be reasonable, even though it is essentially new. Even the M-75T, which has a Bigsby copy, tends to sell for about $350 on eBay.

That's a great looking guitar though.

• Members

Thanks guys....

I didn't notice that about the bridge position, and I'm not looking for an "overly bright" sound.

Also, there is a nice M-75 on EvilBay for a $325 BIN price, so it looks like $400 for the M-70 is a little high.

Oh well, between my T-60 and one of my AmStd Strat's I could probably get the same tones anyway. :D

• Members

Originally posted by harold heckuba

I sold a mint one in green on ebay about 6 months ago for $178. The M70 is the bottom of the line in the M series and most people seem to prefer the M77 or M75 or even the M72.

I sold my green M-70 to a promising student for $200 recently. He thought he got a killer deal...probably did.

M70s_cropped.jpg

Note: Older model with diagonal tailpiece, raised (strutted) LP-style pickguard.

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

I believe some of you own these, so I would like to get some information about the DeArmond M-70.

Of course it has the Mahogany body and set neck, and also the USA Goldtone Humbuckers. It has has a 'clear pickguard' which is interesting.

Anyway, the place is asking $399 for this NOS model. Is it worth that in your opinions?

Thanks

m70.jpg

Hmmmm, clear pickguard, flametop and binding??? I've never seen that before on a M70. Heres mine:

P3310009small.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by jchrist

Hmmmm, clear pickguard, flametop and binding??? I've never seen that before on a M70. Heres mine:

[/img]

Yep, 2001 is a late DeArmond. The neck and body binding, modifed headstock, pickguard all look a bit more like the Squier Series 24 that came shortly thereafter than the Guild-knockoff early model.

The 2001 is practically "transitional", although it does have the Goldtones.

EDIT: See below. The arch top and binding make this much more likely to be an M-72.

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

Thanks

m70.jpg

The guitar you are considering is a M-72. I have a M-70 and it looks like the one in jerry_picker's post. The M-70 is not an archtop, and it has that diagonal tailpiece. The standard knock on the DeArmonds is that the bridge pickup is too close to the bridge and too trebly. You'llhave to judge that for yourself. The Goldtones are sweet and the neck tones areto-die-for. Great guitar, tunes well and pays well. I paid $270 for mine and then bought a case. They do not fit standard Les Pau cases $400 may be too much.

• Members

Originally posted by 23miles

The guitar you are considering is a M-72. I have a M-70 and it looks like the one in jerry_picker's post. The M-70 is not an archtop, and it has that diagonal tailpiece. The standard knock on the DeArmonds is that the bridge pickup is too close to the bridge and too trebly. You'llhave to judge that for yourself. The Goldtones are sweet and the neck tones areto-die-for. Great guitar, tunes well and pays well. I paid $270 for mine and then bought a case. They do not fit standard Les Pau cases $400 may be too much.

Ahhhh, okay.... That makes sense.....

They have it advertised as a "M-70", and I don't know enough about them to know the difference. :freak:

• Members

I'd have to agree that 4 Benjies is a tad steep. I have an M-72 I got for $200 new, and previously owned a NOS M-75 that I got in a straight trade for a NOS Jet Star (one of those VH1/Save The Music ones from evilbay) that I bought for under $200.

It's a great guitar though.

BK

Here's my M-72 (I painted the clear guard):

64238476_14f19c75b3.jpg

Archived