Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_roeder_gw

Morden Blush

Not much blooming yet. Here is Morden Blush in its early season flush.

Comments (28)

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Oh, Mark, it's gorgeous!

mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

So many pretty blooms!

mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa thanked kentucky_rose zone 6
  • nummykitchen
    8 years ago

That is a beautiful bush! I need to add it to my wish list, I love the soft pink and it looks like it doesn't mind cold zones! Thanks for sharing!

mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa thanked nummykitchen
  • KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Wow, what flower power! And the blooms look big with many petals too.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Soooooo pretty. Blooming machine!!

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Morden Blush blooms in flushes.

But, some years its blooms are nearly continuous.

When grown in full sun, with no competition from tree roots, the bush and its blooms are quite vigorous.

• User
    8 years ago

This sounds like the perfect pale pink for cold climates. What a show!

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It really is a great rose bush. It is not really a rose for a vase, except maybe to add accent to some rose or roses with better exhibition form.

It accomplishes most of what I want as a garden rose to show-off to the people who walk down our public sidewalk and enjoy floriculture. The one place it misses: It is scentless.

The places it hits: (1) numerosity of blooms, and (2) comes back strong after a severe winter.

• User
    8 years ago

You would think some smart manufacturer would come up with some sort of net tent to keep the beetles off.

• Vansunny_BC 7b F
    8 years ago

Really beautiful! I should get one next year.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    8 years ago

What a lovely shrub.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is not quite a continuous bloomer because it does bloom somewhat in flushes, but as soon as this group is done, the next group starts right up, and so it goes the entire season. I have a couple other Morden Blush roses but they do not get the sunlight this one gets. If grown in less than ideal positions it will be much more subdued.

It is so important to grow roses in full sun.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    8 years ago

Mark, that is one of the nicest plants of Morden Blush I've ever seen grown. I think if mine had looked that good I would have moved it to my new garden when I left my old house. You're absolutely correct, full sun makes the difference. Mine was on the east side of a building and although it flowered fairly well, the shrub itself was rather skinny. That's what happens when you have more roses than you should - you shoehorn them in where ever they might tolerate growing. But there is a whole whale of a difference between "tolerate" and thriving, isn't there? Great photo!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

I keep coming back to this thread and admiring your Morden Blush. So lovely!

Kate

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

It is stunning. How is it with bs? It is supposed to be susceptible to it. I know it may be different in different climate.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is not a blackspot magnet, but as with most roses in the Midwest if we do not spray it with fungicides it will spot some. It is somewhat resistant to blackspot. The biggest problem is the J-Beetles.

8 years ago

Good to know Mark. I love the way it look but was turned off by not being very disease resistant according to helpmefind site. If it is not a bs magnet, it will be in my list for next year.

With regard to JB, well almost all of us have an issue with it. I hate them..lol.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jjpeace (zone 5 US/zone 6 Can) You need to secure the border from dreadful immigrants creeping from the south across your porous border. :(

I should think that Canadian roses would grow well in -- Canada.

Are you in Ontario?

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Very nice!

8 years ago

Yes I am in Ontario, in the Greater Toronto region. This rose in theory should do well in my area. Well the weather has been cooler than average so no signs of those nasty critters yet. I am crossing my fingers very hard...lol.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jjpeace (zone 5 US/zone 6 Can):
    The reason I asked is because we are going to Niagara Falls soon, and the shortest drive from here is Windsor through that southern part of Ontario north and east to Niagara Falls. We don't get as far as Toronto. I don't recall many sights to see along that roadway, but I thought I'd inquire if you were a local. I knew that area in Ontario is mostly Zone 5.

8 years ago

It is a funny thing though. According to American source, Toronto is gardening zone 5 but Canadian sources state I am in zone 6. That is why I have both as my zones.

Sorry I am not a local but I hope you have a good time on your trip. Well since you are going there, you may want to check Palatine nurseries. I have not been there but it should be on the way. Please do tell us how your trip went when you come back.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I never hear of Palatine Nursery. I found their website. Quite a selection. Do they grow these on-site in Niagara?

I'll make a mental note and see if the women in my life will tolerate time at a nursery while on vacation. This is where the little woman wanted to go for our honeymoon 25-years ago. But, I had some business in Fort Meyers and we went there instead. Good thing we both lasted 25-years, eh?

8 years ago

There is a garden near the falls. It has been a few years since I went but I do remember roses planted along the falls. That should be a treat.

Honestly, I've never been to Palatine. I know it is somewhere on Niagara on the lakes. Second thought, maybe you shouldn't go. You may not resist the temptation to buy roses and you will have no room in your car for your family...lol.

• aswhad_
    8 years ago

a perfect flowering bush !!

Thanks

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Yes!!! I really love Morden Blush!! It's a wonderful rose!! The flowers are wonderful to cut for buttonholes or to pin to hats. They stay tight for a long time. Yours is incredible!!! Tons and tons of roses!! This rose is amazing!! And it's zone 3!!

Carol

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rosecanadian:

As we were walking from our hotel to Niagara Falls we came across a Morden Blush that was as full of flowers as mine, and larger.

jjpeace (zone 5 US/zone 6 Can): I did go to Palatine Roses. I had a nice discussion with the daughter of the owner about their care of roses and came away very impressed by the quality of the potted plants they were selling. Palatine uses a lot of organics, and tries to avoid chemicals. They are using Neem Oil, which I intend to look into some more. Their winters are somewhat milder than mine, and I am certain they get more snow cover. I did not spend enough time replacing my sand before I planted roses. My lot is like a sandbox; I am sure that a few thousand years ago this lot was a river bed or shore line. The sand holds back my main rose beds a bit.

This is a bit off-topic, but I hope you enjoy the spectacular falls:

American Falls

American Falls - Changing colors.

Horseshoe Falls

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!