Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swamp_rose

Blanc double de coubert - faithful old friend

swamp_rose
5 years ago

Abouat 15 or 16 Year’s about I planted Blanc double de coubert in the front in a thin strip of soil (about 10’ x 2’). Now it is surrounded by Camieux and “lavaglut”, two other stalwarts in our harsh, urban landscape. BDdeC is so woody now, has crept and suckered searching for some growing room. In recent years it always looks so sparse in late winter, I wonder each spring if it‘ll come through. This year it’s doing so well - maybe from all the rain. It is the first to bloom and this year so profusely and the fragrance is stong. I don’t mind dead heading the limp spent blooms. You can see in the first image how BDdeC is now wrapped itself around Lavaglut, which is still a week or two away from bloom time.

Comments (13)

• smithdale1z8pnw
    5 years ago

How beautiful, I don't grow it but I do grow its' sport, Souvenir de Philemon Cochet. This is a beautiful rose with wonderful fragrance but it is not as bloomiferous as BDdeC.

swamp_rose thanked smithdale1z8pnw
  • swamp_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Carol and Smithdale! I love the idea that it reminds you of Paris! That patch of garden doesn't get much attention at all and over the years I've tucked in day-lilies and the like, but it's really about the roses. BDdC has this amazing flush in spring, and then sort of chugs quietly along all season. Last year we had a terrible spring infestation of apids - it was gross - but it did not seems to affect the health of the plant. In the Fall the leaves turnsed bright yellow. It doesn't always do that. But you're right, no disease at all.

Although I've had Lavaglut out there for maybe 12 years or so, I'm just now learning how to prune and tend it. There is no scent whatsoever, but the color is awesome. Brooklyn Botanical Gardens has/had it in their Rose gardens and years ago we'd always see it there and decided we just had to try it.

I'll post a few more pictures as the other two start blooming! ;))

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

It's very decorative and really livens up the area. Amazing what even a thin strip of land can bring forth in roses.

swamp_rose thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    5 years ago

I'd say the BDdC has done its job nobly, and greatly improved the immediate area, for you, but for everyone else as well. Congratulations on your fine rose.

swamp_rose thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • swamp_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Ingrid! Yes I am always amazed that these roses continue to survive and thrive on a busy, industrial street. During snowy winters we and our neighbors have to use salt to reduce the ice on the sidewalks and streets. and still the roses pull through.

You are right on the money Melissa! I think the warehouse workers and artists who rent studio spaces around here do appreciate them! I'd like to think they help the wildlife as well. ;))

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

I love the way Rugosas stand up to salt! I used to live in Minneapolis, and everything was salted. Rugosas grow beautifully at the OR coast, too. I see oodles of them blooming in cottage gardens when I travel to the beach in the summer. The spicy rosy clove fragrance is a delicious bonus during walks at sunset! Carol

swamp_rose thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • swamp_rose
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That fragrance. The DBdC is so strong when it first opens up it greets you from 10 feet away. That’s right about the salt! I forgot that these are the ones that are always near the coast! In California also, and I’ve seen them in Coastal regions out east. :))

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

It's the fragrance -- which unlike many roses, is strong at night, too.

swamp_rose thanked monarda_gw
  • Lisa Szabo
    4 years ago

Does she continue to flower throughout the summer like the catalogs claim?

swamp_rose thanked Lisa Szabo
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

That's a great quality, being fragrant at night. I'm always so disappointed when I sniff my roses in the evening and get - nothing. Tonight I'll sniff Wild Edric, an Austin that looks 100% rugosa although HMF lists it as a hybrid rugosa.

swamp_rose thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • swamp_rose
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes Lisa it will bloom all summer, but in flushes, not continuous. The scent ingrid Is heavenly. I cannot discern the fine points of rose perfume as well as othersthis one is lovely. Just lovely.

• portlandmysteryrose
    4 years ago

I'd call the fragrance old rose and spice--hints of clove, a dash of cinnamon and maybe even a little vanilla. Not cloying but rich and addictive with just enough sweet, floral frosting. Like a petit fours. :-) Carol

swamp_rose thanked portlandmysteryrose