Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emloreyn

Wanted: Prunus serrulata 'Amanogawa' aka flagpole cherry tree

Emily Reynolds
3 years ago

Hello! Does anyone know where to find a Prunus serrulata 'Amanogawa' (aka flagpole cherry) for sale in the South-Atlantic region of the US? I'm in Virginia and would love to put this tree in my small front yard. Thanks!

Comments (32)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I’d also suggest looking at some more images. That one looks photoshopped. Ime the blooms are much paler and a tad larger than in that picture. As it ages the tree broadens too and might need tying together to stop it from splaying.

Emily Reynolds thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice. I've done a ton of research on this cultivar, and I have indeed seen them with blooms that are more pale. That would be quite all right with me as I'd be happy with blooms in any shade. I have not read anything about splaying, however. I could definitely handle some moderate splaying, and I will look out for it if I ever manage to get my hands on one.

• Sam CO z5
    3 years ago

Not sure how small you want. I ordered a Zuzu ornamental cherry from hirtsgardens this spring, and though it was tiny, it is doing well. Looks like it’s a similar look, but more of a small tree or large shrub. Just an idea.

Emily Reynolds thanked Sam CO z5
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

My dad’s Amanogawa was about forty years old last time I saw it and certainly got broader as it aged. It was at least 25 feet tall as I recall.

Emily Reynolds thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Sam. Zuzu's are nice, too. But my heart is set on the look and traits of the Amanogawa. :)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Read more about how Japanese flowering cherry trees do in your particular area - they may not be that reliable there. In fact anywhere these are planted there can be pest or disease headaches, as well as issues due to them having been grafted onto sweet cherry rootstocks.

Among the many flowering cherries, only a few are both spectacular and reliable enough for use throughout Virginia

https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/426/426-611/426-611.html

• Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My area of the US is ideal for most varieties of flowering cherry trees. I'm not too far from Washington D.C. which is famous for its cherry blossoms. Rest assured I have done my research, and am ready to take the plunge. Since they are hard to come by, I thought I would send out a note here in case anyone has happened across one in the Southern-Atlantic area.

• edenchild
    3 years ago

I have one in my PNW garden. I love the size - it’s about 2.5” wide and 10’ tall after 3 years - but did any of your research mention that it suckers like crazy? I have to cut suckers back at least 3 times a year. Not necessarily a reason not to get one but you should be aware of it.

Emily Reynolds thanked edenchild
  • Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi edenchild,

Nothing I've read has suggested anything more than usual suckering habit when it comes to cherries, but that is very good to know. Thanks for sharing the photos! Gorgeous!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

The above pictures give a realistic impression of the colour and also show that the habit is not ramrod straight and tightly compact.. I’m surprised you’re having trouble sourcing one. They’re really common here.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Sounds like you are in Northern Virginia (capitalizing northern because i would love to see us become North Virginia someday-ha), I would contact Merrifield. I have never seen this one there, but they are most likely able to order one as Ken mentioned. Good luck.

Emily Reynolds thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So true! Every time I find one for sale I come to find out it's in the UK!

• Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

cyn427, I am in Northern Virginia, and west. That's a little "w," west. ;) I will try Merrifield. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    3 years ago

@Emily Reynolds I subscribe to a database that I use to find plants for my crazy plant collector clients (this is said lovingly btw). It's only showing two sources, but the one with the bigger material (between 2" and 4" caliper) is in northern NJ, coincidentally in the town where I had the best biryani of my life. Feel free to message me, they look cool enough that I may try and snag one and we can work something out w/ maybe splitting freight (I'm also in NoVA and my wife told me I can go tree shopping for my birthday so GAME ON). Since I'm seeing them on offer in northern NJ and also southern CA well east of LA, that tree must be a heck of a survivor.

• shayna petersen
    3 years ago

I would love to know where i can find this tree as well. Im located in Georgia and ive searched the web and still cannot find this tree. Please help me if you

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

If the "suckers" reported above are initially vegetative shoots coming from existing branches well above the ground - as can be seen happening in the two pictures provided - and not root sprouts - then it is the 'Ama-no-gawa' simply attempting to grow larger. So that if these new branches are all diligently hunted down and snipped out going into the future indefinitely eventually the specimen will start to deteriorate.

Whereas if the complaint posted was in fact about root sprouts instead then having that happen with a Japanese cherry cultivar will most often be the result of the grafting onto sweet cherry I mentioned earlier. With suckering being one of the problems with this practice.

• Pamela Smith
    3 years ago

I'm also interested in this plant, and can't find it anywhere. If someone found it on offer in CA, LMK. Other cherry tree types also seem to be restricted in shipment to CA (not sure why) so would love to find it in CA somewhere.

• Trace Young
    3 years ago

Hi, All

I am wondering if anyone got this Cherry Tree recently ? Now It is in Jan, 2021. and I am living in CA. USA. If yes. Could you please let me know how to get it. Thanks. Trace

Emily Reynolds thanked Trace Young
  • HU-828745433
    3 years ago

Emily did you find one. Where is the place in northern nj. I live in central nj and I have been searching like crazy for one of these.

• HU-828745433
    3 years ago

@revolutionary gardens where is the place in jersey

• HU-274284399
    3 years ago

Hello, I purchased an Amanogawa cherry last spring from Forest Farms in Oregon. It was about 4 feed tall and in a plastic 3 gallon (approx) container. They shipped it to Pennsylvania where I'm located and it arrived in good shape. I planted it immediately and it even got a few flower after planting in late April. It did well all summer and I look forward to seeing it in spring. If you go to www.forestfarm.com and click on the link to their 2021 catalog at the top of the page and look on page 35 image L. This is the Amanogawa cherry (flagpole cherry). It cost me about $150 which included shipping. Hope this helps.

Emily Reynolds thanked HU-274284399
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

I've been to their 5 gallon growing area at the original forest farm - not "farms" -location and the stuff looked great. Also if you buy from them a percentage of the price goes to the developing Pacifica garden.

Emily Reynolds thanked Embothrium
  • Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HU-274284399, Embothrium, brilliant! Thank you both!

• HU-226872801
    3 years ago

This is great info! Can this tree be planted next to a house (about 6 feet away) or could the root system damage the foundation?

• Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Trace Young @Pamela Smith @shayna petersen @HU-828745433

I recently placed an order for this tree with Forest Farm in Oregon! The tree is not on the website yet, so you have to call to place the order. They currently ship anywhere in the US. The trees will be in one-gallon pots and should be ready to ship in late spring. I'm in Virginia and it'll cost me about $75 all together.

• mjpoff
    3 years ago

I am also here on the hunt for the flagpole cherry tree with no luck in Ohio

• Trace Young
    3 years ago

Thanks a lot Emily Reynolds. I did place the order to purchase the tree in Forest Fram website today in April, 2021. But it only allows me to input 1 instead of 2 that I want. The tree $85 and shipping $49 to CA, USA

I also found HomeDepot also carries this tree in last year. but so far I did not received any info from their website that the tree is available to place order. I will share the flower what it looks like once I receive it and blooms. Have a time!

• Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Correction from my previous comment. Forest Farm accientally reserved a one-gallon tree for me when they only had five-gallon trees. All said and done, I paid $147, not the $75 I originally posted. The tree arrived in late June in great shape. It‘s quite dry where I am in Virginia right now, so I’m waiting until September to plant it. Thanks again to all the folks who chimed in to help me locate a grower!

• HU-470069791
    2 years ago

Emily, I found these at Home Depot for $36.98, how i yours growing?… mine arrive the 15th of September, bought 3.

Emily Reynolds thanked HU-470069791
  • Trace Young
    2 years ago

Hi,

I did place order in HomeDepot. They are small one with about 3 feet tall and had a little leaves on it.and I planted it in the planters to let them grow. but one was dead. It guessed CA weather is too hot...

• Emily Reynolds
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HU-470069791 - I just put mine in the ground yesterday (10-1-21). I got a healthy tree from Forestfarm in June (shipped from OR to VA), and it remains a healthy tree today. It’s great to hear the trees finally came back in stock at Home Depot! Much better to buy multiple trees at that price point. I hope yours do well!