Catfish ID?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
My LFS has got this catfish in and labeled it "Rock Bacu Catfish" (which I'm pretty sure is a colloquial term used to describe numerous species of doradids, or at least is the common name of a frequently mislabeled catfish); when I asked an employee the scientific name of it, he told me that it was Pterodoras granulosus, which I highly doubt. I think the catfish may be a Lithodoras dorsalis, but I can't be absolutely certain, so I figured I would ask here. If it is indeed L. dorsalis, would it be worth $200 (price of the fish at the LFS)? I have heard that the average price of L. dorsalis has been going down since the past few years, and that they're being more commonly imported seasonally, too. Can anyone confirm?

1652063035532.png
Best pic I have- the fish was fairly active (especially for a doradid; almost all doradids I kept in the past were extremely shy, except for a few older M. uranoscopus), and I was unable to get any other relatively clear photos.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My LFS has got this catfish in and labeled it "Rock Bacu Catfish" (which I'm pretty sure is a colloquial term used to describe numerous species of doradids, or at least is the common name of a frequently mislabeled catfish); when I asked an employee the scientific name of it, he told me that it was Pterodoras granulosus, which I highly doubt. I think the catfish may be a Lithodoras dorsalis, but I can't be absolutely certain, so I figured I would ask here. If it is indeed L. dorsalis, would it be worth $200 (price of the fish at the LFS)? I have heard that the average price of L. dorsalis has been going down since the past few years, and that they're being more commonly imported seasonally, too. Can anyone confirm?

View attachment 1494529
Best pic I have- the fish was fairly active (especially for a doradid; almost all doradids I kept in the past were extremely shy, except for a few older M. uranoscopus), and I was unable to get any other relatively clear photos.
Fishman Dave Fishman Dave

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That is not a granulosus but I'm almost certain that it is a Lithodoras.The price seems about right,I have only seen them become available in the past year.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Scute count certainly suggests Lithodoras dorsalis. And of course rock bacu is a common name for this fish. It’s just the shop Latin ID that’s wrong.
As for the price.
The ones available in the uk recently have been up for sale anywhere between £600 for one and £600 for three.
So $200 seems a reasonable price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store