Soldier catfish aka Lithodoras dorsalis at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We got unbelievably lucky back in the year 2010 and rescued a rare Lithodoras at 1.5'. It grew to 2' with us. Named Rocky. Very tame and as friendly as they get. Eats like there is no bottom to his stomach. 1st to come and last to leave. Unfortunately lost him on our move from NY to FL after about 1.5 years.

Some important learnings: NEVER house pacu with timid doradids. The appearance of pacu (and large alligator gars, who are indiscriminate biters and attackers) in the 4000 gal tropical pond drastically changed Rocky, as it would come out far rarer and sometimes bear damage on his fins and barbels (same goes for channel catfish and iridescent shark catfish and other timid fish versus the pacu and the gators).

Cactus (2).JPGGrany 1.JPGGrany 2.JPGGrany 3.JPGGrany 4.JPGgroup 14 feeding.JPGgroup 15.JPGMr Marbles 4.JPG

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Found the thread, so you don't have any Lithos now? I'm so sorry you lost him. Can I ask how you lost him during the move? I am going to have to move my collection from NY to Georgia in the future, do you have any more tips?

As I mentioned in the other thread I've got two and as you experienced with yours I did as well with mine. In comparison to the rest of the Doras I've had they are very outgoing. Heck compared to many catfish they're outgoing. They don't seem to be light sensitive aren't easily startled and are fairly active. Mine often patrol together and I've seen them resting one on top the other while hovering mid water several times. Great fish, I hope I find more in the future as I'd love to try and breed them.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you, Kolt! No, that was ours one and only so far. I really wanted to get them earlier this year when they became available for the first time ever in my experience but the price wouldn't let me plus the money wasn't really available.

On one of the 1500 mile trips from upstate NY to SW Florida, I was transporting the jumbos and I lost almost all, suffocated, likely pinched the air hose with the lid, or didn't supply enough air altogether.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Did you rescue Rocky from another member?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Pets Plus! I worked at a shop by that same name back in the nineties here in Philadelphia.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thank you, Kolt! No, that was ours one and only so far. I really wanted to get them earlier this year when they became available for the first time ever in my experience but the price wouldn't let me plus the money wasn't really available.

On one of the 1500 mile trips from upstate NY to SW Florida, I was transporting the jumbos and I lost almost all, suffocated, likely pinched the air hose with the lid, or didn't supply enough air altogether.
I'm really sorry to hear that was your one and only Litho Viktor. It was the first time I too ever saw them available and I've been looking for a long time. That's why I jumped on it. I wanted more but I too didn't have much money available.

Again I'm so sorry to hear that, thankfully the rest of them made it. I'm not sure how I'm going to move my collection, thankfully I don't have many big guys. My biggest top out around 14 inches and there aren't too many of them. I had considered having someone overnight or airport to airport them and I had also considered transporting them myself. I have some 45 gallon bins I was planning on trying to use if I did move them myself. They have handles that snap over the lid that makes them resistant to water getting in as they're intended for storage, not completely water tight but secure enough for my needs. Plus they have wheels making moving them a little easier when moving them under load. Now I know air circulation and pinching may present issues I'll do what I can to account for those eventualities. Thanks Viktor for the info, I definitely appreciate it.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There still seems to be some available just in case your situation has changed.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store