IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

So I saw this palm in a seed sampler from RPS and I never heard of it, RPS says it can withstand tempatures to -8 degrees F. Is this true? Does anyone else grow Nannorrhops ritchiana? 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Common name is the Mazari palm. I believe in it's native regions it's very arid during the cold snaps it receives. There are folks in California growing this palm.

Cheers, Barrie.

I have two; one green (faster and no fur around petioles) the other blue (Aribica? slower and fur around the petioles). Both great palms for me:

IMG_20160505_181751114.thumb.jpg.3819906

IMG_20160505_181139091.thumb.jpg.70f8f39

• Upvote 9

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Should have picked up the trash on that last one!. This is betterIMG_20160505_181203776.thumb.jpg.7c48816:

• Upvote 7

Mission Viejo, CA

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

I have one as well. Never done anything but water it. It grows no matter what

IMG_1210.JPG

• Upvote 6

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I have several hundred of each including one 8' mature ritcheana. The green version (ritcheana) is much more cold hardy than the silver arabica.

• Upvote 1

Brett, that blue Arabica form of Nannorrhops is really nice.  Tempted to even try one here in Hawaii.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

6 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

Brett, that blue Arabica form of Nannorrhops is really nice.  Tempted to even try one here in Hawaii.

Al, the arabica is very root sensitive and must  have well draining soil. other than they they grow very well.

14 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

I have two; one green (faster and no fur around petioles) the other blue (Aribica? slower and fur around the petioles). Both great palms for me:

Looking great Brett!

Alan Valley has the biggest specimen I have ever seen In California. It MASSIVE!!

Maybe Danny can post a picture?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Brett's garden never disappoints!

In zone 7b/8a you need 'green form' to try. I have three Nannorrhops planted out in my zone 7 (check climate data for Zagreb, Croatia) but only one seems to growe. And yes, Nannorrhops need from time to time some kind of passive winter protection.This means overhead protection against winter rain and snow, and mulching with pine straws. 

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 8 months later...
On 11/4/2016, 8:14:41, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Brett - these are some of the best pictures of Nannorrhops that I have seen!  Great job.  Beautiful specimens, too!

I have been researching Nannorrhops for quite some time now.  I have eight specimens in my collection - two Nannorrhops ritchieana 'green form' from Afghanistan/Northern Pakistan, five ritchieana 'Kashmir form' from the Kashmir region, and one ritchieana 'silver'.  I had an 'arabica' previously; however, this form has minimal cold tolerance when young and was killed at 26 F.

Looking at your two specimens - I would actually say the first is the N. 'arabica'. Arabica is much faster growing than ritchieana and does not have that "fur" around the petioles.  Also, while 'arabica' starts out a strong silver/white when young, many turn that yellowish green when older (like yours).

I believe your "blue" specimen is actually the N. ritchieana 'silver'. It looks just like mine.  Ritchieana are slower growing than arabica and they have that "fur" at the base of their petioles. The 'silver' N. ritchieana keep their silvery-blue coloring with age.

My Nannorrhops ritchieana 'silver' (Silver Mazari palm).  My specimen is not Nannorrhops 'arabica'.  This one is slower growing than the 'arabica' and has the "fur" around the base of the petioles.

20170712_201846.jpg

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, PAPalmGrower said:

My Nannorrhops ritchieana 'silver' (Silver Mazari palm).  My specimen is not Nannorrhops 'arabica'.  This one is slower growing than the 'arabica' and has the "fur" around the base of the petioles.

20170712_201846.jpg

Thanks for the information.You are right, in that the faster "arabica" was white as a seedling and progressively turned green. The silver palm in the picture was much slower.

• Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member