Bronica S2, fix hard shutter speed dial and ergonomic mod

antoniobravo

so, another post about a bit of tinkering with the S2.

Context is that I recently bought from Japan a S2, late model ie. a S2A. It came with two backs, and I just check everything is ok. There's little DIY doc online for these cameras. I had one back with light leaks, and posted about how I fixed it here in another thread.

this time it's about the shutter speed dial, the one on the left side. It was hard to turn, so I had to have a look. I was bracing myself for some sleepless night into complex watch-like mechanics, but I didn't need at all, it was so damn simple. But then I guess some other cases will require to get deeper into the beast.

so, remove the leatherette main circle and the narrower one, the metallic lock has one hole on the rim. One hole means it's not screwed, otherwise there would be typically 3 screws, so it's clicked inside somehow or glued. I inserted the tip of a spanner in the hole and played with it. In fact it did stick strongly and I had to force, the hole was getting wider and it was bending like it's a piece of tin. Strong glue.

bilde_1.thumb.jpg.f336c4bcb3f9ef75e07390d1b9a6baa0.jpg

removed, we see the small deformation, but since it's so soft, easy to correct with some spanner for instance:

bilde_2.thumb.jpg.975ef7d5eb30f612fe07164097b415ac.jpg

then remove 5 screws and the bayonet:

bilde_3.thumb.jpg.21ae85945fbfbde9f84c1dc79c9ceebc.jpg

3 screws hold the black ring with painted shutter times. Next step for delving into mechanism is obviously to peel some leatherette for underlying screws and remove the side panel.

bilde_4.thumb.jpg.499c9fa7f02a4f5fd82b2b24928ca80e.jpg

BUT, before going further I decided to check how it is with the brass ring with notches and the inner steel one

a piece of bent copper works as passive spring against the notches. There's no grease residue there, it's clean. By the musty odour similar the one of clothes stored long time in an attic, when I received it, this camera hadn't been used in a while. Dried lubricant? But why would the spring pressure more than needed? No idea, whatever, I just stick a screwdriver and press a bit on the copper spring with the idea to lessen a bit the tension, and I apply a bit of light white grease:

bilde_5.thumb.jpg.d7dd140ff01df04a9d9929f825e4f79b.jpg

remove the excess:

IMG_1592.thumb.jpg.ac32ff9801b433fda38485b37273fe7d.jpg

and exercise the dial many many times back and forth.

That did it, the dial is smooth as butter but clicks well into speed marks. Happy!

Meanwhile I had the bayonet and cover dipped into ethanol in order to remove the dried glue residues. Clean then screw the bayonet back:

bilde_6.thumb.jpg.72055a09d75b5029119192d4f0a4ab05.jpg

cut a piece of light cardbord to cover the inside of the lock before applying glue, to avoid getting it all over the screws under, then glue back the leatherette. Done.

bilde_7.thumb.jpg.915e242a0f26e0a1f37e1e1610139daf.jpg

Ergonomic mod:

----------------------

I don't like the bayonet on the speed dial, because it can get dirt inside, can hook something else accidentally like in the bag, and fingertips get into it.

the bayonet is for the sport finder, which it don't plan to use:

bilde_8.thumb.jpg.bea83383e4956110ac1e59d4c40c9036.jpg

So I I just cut some piece of thick cardboard that I insert there. Glue some decorative circle over, in this case I used red duct tape and finish with a piece of self-laminating clear sheet sticking on the external steel edge of the bayonet. Take extra care insuring it does stick well. Glue and plastic don't like extreme temperatures so we'll see how it goes in winter by -30 or some +40 sommer place. The laminating plastic well glued is required to avoid humidity sneaking its way into the cardboard. I found this an easy solution, and easy to remove in case I have to screw again.

bilde_9.thumb.jpg.66acdf413b978b638c6ee43006652c91.jpg

I did the same with my other S2, just printed some custom Z Bronica logo.

The S2A is grey leatherette, the S2 is black, but they are also now easier to tell apart by the speed dial:

bilde_10.thumb.jpg.2320b94d4d925508c7065a3bbd5d16c7.jpg

Edited by antoniobravo
  • Like 3