Bryopsis or Dinos? Help!

Nutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively new tank (about two months old) that was set up with dry rock. The tank's parameters were reading 0.01 PO4 and 5PPM NO3. About 5 days ago, I woke up to the start of a massive algae outbreak. At first I thought it was some Diatoms with a little bit of hair algae mixed in, but it has since begun a hostile takeover. I have been giving the tank a blackout for the past 24 hours, and tonight I had a nice "scrape and net" session for about an hour. Once finished I switched the light off again. It does not appear to be holding air bubbles as I've read Dino typically does, but I was hoping someone with a little more experience could provide some opinions on what I'm dealing with. Pictures below.

IMG_0424.JPG

On the rocks/coral frags

IMG_0426.JPG

Free floating in the tank post-scrape

IMG_0427.JPG

Floating in the bucket after removal

IMG_0428.JPG

Covering the rear wall of the tank

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Dino In the first picture. I had it before and just did a bunch of lights out sessions and scraping and netting until it was gone. I was running carbon too which gets rid of all the toxins because Dino Is actually toxic it sucks! Good luck man !

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, maybe it is just because the first picture is fuzzy. I don't think it looks like dino. Dino is smooth and kinda slimy looking, usually has air bubbles in it and floats up like strings of snot off whatever it is attached to.

OP
OP
N

Nutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the early input. I will attempt to get some clearer pictures this evening when I get home from work.

OP
OP
N

Nutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also,

As of this morning nothing that I scraped appears to have returned on the back wall. Going to pick up a toothbrush today and get after the rock...

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos:
Fish027.jpg

Bryopsis: (looks like a potted fern plant)
Bryopsis_plumosa_c.jpg

Hair Algae:
Hair_Algae_large.JPG

Another one most likely confused with Dinos are cyanobacteria. Although the red coloration and bubbles trapped are a dead giveaway:
cyanoMedium.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, youre dealing with Dinos and hair algae.
Turbo snails work wonders for HA but in smaller tanks, astreae snails work well too.
For Dinos, (unless you have a deep sand bed) you can stir up your sand OR what I do is when I notice it in my high nutrient tanks, Ill siphon out the very top layer of sand-easy because it sticks together to form a mat-and peroxide (regular 3% kind) the sand for about 48 hours. Mixing occasionally, adding more peroxide to the bucket every 12 hours or so. rinse well-I usually do 3 times-then put back into the tank. sand will be white but will be totally devoid of any bacteria/algae.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: decided not to hijack and am starting my own thread.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back