Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
Good for her doesn't look like her though. Can't wait to punch cohh's in game model. I won't be playing the game but I will grab my wife's controller when she reaches him.

May 17, 2018
I mean even then, it doesn't even need to be "dealt with".
She's a person who likes video games and has centered her livelihood around them and is getting small role in a video game she's extremely excited about. There's nothing to hate here, there's nothing to be concerned about. It's a nice little story and that's it.
It's just another reminder that despite the overall progressive slant of this forum, it's still full of obnoxious gatekeeping nerds.

Maybe I missed it, but, is anyone saying she should never act in games or post videos on YouTube? How is asking for proper disclosure translated to gatekeeping?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but, is anyone saying she should never act in games or post videos on YouTube?
Hasn't even been two pages since someone suggested that by because reasons and that she stole the opportunity from a professional. You know...even though she's done voice work in multiple games before.

How is asking for proper disclosure translated to gatekeeping?
Why is it there there were no requests for proper disclosure, aka an NDA violation, when it was revealed that Jesse Cox and CohhCarnage were in the game? 🤔

luminosity

"This guy are sick"
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but, is anyone saying she should never act in games or post videos on YouTube? How is asking for proper disclosure translated to gatekeeping?

"Proper" is subjective and varies from person to person.

What is the end goal of the disclosure? What level of disclosure is good enough?

She already stated that she's not reviewing the game and that she is biased to like it, and advises viewers to take her opinion on it with a grain of salt. She says it every time she talks about the game.

Are there people in this thread concerned about her lack of disclosure up to this point? What grand deception occurred before she revealed she plays an NPC that is so off putting? Did you preorder the game because of one of her streams and now everything about CyberPunk 2077 has changed in your mind because she's in it?

Just trying to get at the root of people's concerns here.

Oct 26, 2017
How is asking for proper disclosure translated to gatekeeping?
The gatekeeping aspect is the fact that once again a thread about an attractive women doing something game related gets a shit ton more attention form naysayers than when a guy does it.
As for the disclosure aspect, she's not obligated to disclose anything. She's not a government official giving a tax break to CDPR, she's a gaming personality who's getting a bit part in a game jam packed with characters.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I mean even then, it doesn't even need to be "dealt with".
She's a person who likes video games and has centered her livelihood around them and is getting small role in a video game she's extremely excited about. There's nothing to hate here, there's nothing to be concerned about. It's a nice little story and that's it.
It's just another reminder that despite the overall progressive slant of this forum, it's still full of obnoxious gatekeeping nerds.
Only speaking for myself but my problem is not at all with her, I understand why she accepted this role and why she and her fans are excited for it.

My problem is only with the developer because I wasunder the impression that this would be a game that would be taking things more seriously from an artistic point of view. And of course not everyone needs to agree on this but to me having gamer youtubers in your game quite simply cheapens the experience and makes it less transcendental. Not every game needs to be artsy or serious or whatever, I just thought this was young to be one of them.

Now, because of this and a lot of the GTA kind of vibes I get from the latest trailers I'm pretty convinced this game is just something very different than what I was expecting. It just tries to be another mainstream blockbuster AAA game that aims to be liked by the greatest amounts of people at all costs. Makes total sense from a business pov but from an artistic one it just seems like a missed opportunity.

Haven't played RDR2 but from what I know about that game, Rockstar really took a lot of risks and made things in certain ways because the artistic vision took them there, even though it was probably not the best idea marketing wise. I was hoping for something along those lines.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only speaking for myself but my problem is not at all with her, I understand why she accepted this role and why she and her fans are excited for it.

My problem is only with the developer because I wasunder the impression that this would be a game that would be taking things more seriously from an artistic point of view. And of course not everyone needs to agree on this but to me having gamer youtubers in your game quite simply cheapens the experience and makes it less transcendental. Not every game needs to be artsy or serious or whatever, I just thought this was young to be one of them.

Now, because of this and a lot of the GTA kind of vibes I get from the latest trailers I'm pretty convinced this game is just something very different than what I was expecting. It just tries to be another mainstream blockbuster AAA game that aims to be liked by the greatest amounts of people at all costs. Makes total sense from a business pov but from an artistic one it just seems like a missed opportunity.

Haven't played RDR2 but from what I know about that game, Rockstar really took a lot of risks and made things in certain ways because the artistic vision took them there, even though it was probably not the best idea marketing wise. I was hoping for something along those lines.
I won't try to convince you to buy the game because I'm on the fence about it myself, but as far as Alanah goes, she is an actress as well. She was on a TV series and worked on Gears 5 and Afterparty as voice actress before Cyberpunk. It's not like this is a one-off promotion.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

You probably shouldn't have expected that from CDPR though. I still remember everytime a repeated npc line briefly took me out of the game in Witcher 3 because it was a reference to some movie or pop song.

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
I'm so peripheral to gaming personalities now I did not know who this was. Congrats to her

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Who was the first "influencer" to be added into a video game?

Wasn't Matt Casamassina in Perfect Dark?

Depends quite what you count, but there's a decent argument for Violet Berlin in Micro Machines 2:

9tloMe8.png

wpt0f8b.png

Edit: I can't find a picture of his in-game sprite, but Jeremy Daldry was in there too.

Edit2:

9v7cZ17.png

iv9sCJV.png

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Depends quite what you count, but there's a decent argument for Violet Berlin in Micro Machines 2:

Actually, thinking further, I might be able to go older than that, depending on if you count it (It's more 'an affectionate nod to a gaming personality who wouldn't begrudge it, rather than a major deal, here'):

usajsLt.png

u2m1XVg.png

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you taking critique from streamers and influencers seriously?

I feel like a lot of folks here cannot distinguish good critique from bad, so they just hate the idea of any face in any media being in any media. Like, yeah, she is in the game and so will others. That alone should make you rethink how you think of their commentary. It isn't a tricky minefield at all.
This should be the case.

But some people lack the education, they don't really think about these things. Others are too lazy to make these judgements for themselves, preferring that somebody else organize things into neat little boxes.

I see a lot of the latter in this thread, but the former is the biggest problem. Why do you think journalism at large is so shit these days?

It should be stated that "influencers" are a thing precisely because people don't think critically in this way.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm happy for her, as I know she's becoming a bit of a CP megafan, and already said she wouldn't even bother critically assessing it because of her obvious excitement, haha.

I'm also glad it doesn't quite look like her. Nothing drags you out of a game like Jessica Chobot playing... Jessica Chobot in Spaaaace.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This should be threadmarked lol

Because yeah. I'm really glad she said that, because she has really been pushing the game this year. And now it makes sense why.

She's been talking about it, because she's really excited for the game. She has a Cyberpunk computer chair and now one of those LE Cyberpunk Xboxes too. Her enthusiasm for the game hasn't exactly been coy. She also already said she's not going to review it in light of her obvious enthusiasm.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
"Proper" is subjective and varies from person to person.

What is the end goal of the disclosure? What level of disclosure is good enough?

She already stated that she's not reviewing the game and that she is biased to like it, and advises viewers to take her opinion on it with a grain of salt. She says it every time she talks about the game.

Are there people in this thread concerned about her lack of disclosure up to this point? What grand deception occurred before she revealed she plays an NPC that is so off putting? Did you preorder the game because of one of her streams and now everything about CyberPunk 2077 has changed in your mind because she's in it?

Just trying to get at the root of people's concerns here.

Ok it is a good step that she said she is not reviewing the game but she is pushing that game like nothing else. She should clarify if CDPR are paying her to promote the game as well, that's why it is weird.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Ok it is a good step that she said she is not reviewing the game but she is pushing that game like nothing else. She should clarify if CDPR are paying her to promote the game as well, that's why it is weird.
Guess i'm not sure how that works. If she's paid for her VA work, does she need to put #Ad because she doesn't necessarily benefit from a sale, she benefitted from the role generally. Like most VAs don't say ad when they say they're excited to see their tv show. I think what she's done so far is fine, but she's definitely an influencer, no matter what she says.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Really not a fan of these kind of additions where they add the person instead of the person acting the character, unless it's a lowkey cameo it just feels jarring and intruisive. Still will see once the game comes out what kind of dialogue or quest line the character has (if any) and reserve judgment until then, though I will say the resemblamce doesn't seem to be particularily well realized

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
People bringing up FTC guidelines LMFAO. Lots of energy being expanded over something so harmless.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
same nose and lips, but that's about it, and that's how I prefer it -- not trying to be taken out of the game looking at Alanah in my CyberPunk world.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Why is people saying it doesn't look like her? It totally does.

Just a different hair color and more tanned. Maybe slightly aged.

I dont know what you guys are smoking, but it looks exactly like her.
If I didnt know she was in the game, and found that NPC, I would say "hey, that looks like Alanah Pearce".

Exactly! Well, some people are better ar remembering and recognizing faces, other people are better at names etc

GreatBritton

Oct 29, 2017
I thought they were using voice actor guild members? Or utilizing the union of voice actors that Troy Baker was pushing for?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Such weird thing how this thread still keeps on going and filled with intense amounts of concern over her integrity as influencer. When Jesse and Cohh announced same arrangement with CDPR there was only fraction of concern about integrity and just people complaining about possible immersion breaks.

RDR 2 is through and through R* game design, nothing risk taking happened there other than maybe it being set in wild west. Gameplay, story design, characterizations etc. all are same old R* so you either like it or hate.

luminosity

"This guy are sick"
Oct 30, 2017

She's already bought and paid for. She plays as a character in the game and got paid for it. She wants it to do well.

If you value her opinion less, fine, but demanding more information isn't going to change anything.

Oct 25, 2017
This actually makes me understand the appeal of these cameos, haha. The previous ones had me like "uh... ok. Little weird, but whatever, doubt I'll even recognize them." But I like Pearce, so this one actually has me thinking "oh, shit, this is cool! Good for her!"

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alannah seems nice but I don't like it when the media (critics, influencers etc) are used in game (like when Keighley was in Death Stranding). Separation of church and state ya know.
Yea she's an influencer, but she's been pretty open about everything concerning the game. I think that's all fine. A reviewer being swayed is a totally different story (and Alannah doesn't do reviews). I think an influencer who loves the game quite a bit being put in the game seems perfectly fine to me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Why would someone who's legitimately trying to get into the gaming industry via voice acting cheapen the experience because she lent her voice and likeness in a game that will likely lead to her being able to lend her voice and likeness to more games? Because she started off as a writer and host for gaming news on a gaming site?

Because she currently works for Roosterteeth where they write and make shows that also have voice over work?

I'm not understanding your argument. Even if she didn't flip from IGN to streaming on the side while she moved on to Rooster Teeth, this was still an avenue she would've likely pursued.

Will Jack Black cheapen the experience of a game because he started off as a musical act who parlayed into movies before getting into gaming and streaming? I doubt it.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No real problem as there isnt a conflict of interests like there was with ME3 (considering she was part of ign at that time and IGN got "Exclusive" behind the scenes looks/reveals before anyone and that 10/10 was sus due to all these things... despite still being a good game) . Congrats on her and hope she had fun acting in that role. (I'm really looking forward to CP2077 )