We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium lophophorum  (Read 5646 times)

johanneshoeller

Lilium lophophorum
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:55:42 AM »
I have some bulbs of Lilium lophophorum. Has anybody experiences with this Lilium?

Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Lilium lophophorum
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
Just sown the seed Hans, will contact you again in 3/4 years.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:57:22 PM »
This charming lily has been shown in photographs quite often over the years in the Forum..  a search will find those and the names of those growing it... perhaps a personal message or two to ask for advice!

Here some notes about seed..... http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/15/261.html 

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:17:50 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jomowi

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »
I have grown this species, a lovely plant but short-lived in my hands.  Outside here in Aberdeen 1 or 2 winters and it has gone.  I am trying (from seed) yet again, will try a different site.

Brian Wilson
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
I have grown a couple of varieties. It does not seem long lived. Perhaps it flowers itself to death or it is very sensitive to pathogens.
Open shade sandy "humusy" soil low pH  will grow it. I have not tried in other positions. The books say it has only one flower.
Maybe starved plants in the wild have. In a garden situation it may have more than one.
It comes (at least) in two varieties one with the tepals loose and one where the form a "lantern".
The bulb is very distinct. It is very narrow and pointed. It looks starved but that is normal shape.
Ll seems to be frost hardy even in mid-Sweden
Göte
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:12:49 PM by gote »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »
JW in Nova Scotia recently sent me some seed and this is germinated already. In the meantime I have var. linearilobum which looks pretty much like Gote's first picture. It was grown from local (Dunedin) seed about 8 or 9 years ago. It is easy and reliable, flowering every year and setting good seed. I still have the original bulbs. It grows to about 30cms with me, in similar conditions to LL. nanum and oxypetalum.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:54 PM »
JW here.  I got a pot of lophophorum seedlings ex Lilium lophophorum ACE1767 from Ardfearn in 1996. They have prospered in a frost-free greenhouse, growing in a large clay pot in a loose ericaceous mix with granite grit.  They  do not  readily (correction) set seeds when pollinated by hand. I sent seed to the local Rhodo Chapter in February and a member came up to me at the December meeting and said he had a flat of large lusty seedlings numbering a hundred or more.  My own seedlings were never lusty so I was rather floored. They are kept on the dry side while dormant, in the dark at about 4-5c in the shed. Regular feedings but never full strength, maybe 1/4 strength when in growth, a good shot of superphosphate in the mix. Potassium as per Ian Y. since last winter. Provado for the lily beetle and aphids but inspection is always necessary. The seed I sent to LesleY may have been from Finn Haugli, he sent 1/4 cup of them.

johnw - ps Aphids noticed on the cyclamen treated last December with Provado.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:58:56 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:25:34 AM »
I have been growing L. lophophorum for some years,, and as said before here some of them have been rather short lived growing in light compost. The best so far is this very low form which I grew from seeds 6 years ago and which is still with me and doing better every year. It's growing in sort of a scree bed with much gravel.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal